Calories in serving110
The custard is thick, creamy and sweet with a soft texture. It is a delicate dessert which serve on very special occasions and celebrations but often makes a perfect sweet treat for a heart warming result any other time. It is very popular Asian recipe. Cambodian Pumpkin Coconut Custard is a kind of Khmer Food (commonly known as Cambodia Food).
Note: Cambodian, Lao or Thai Pumpkin Custard is pumpkin that can either be steamed or baked with a coconut milk and egg filling. This is a traditional dessert in Asian country like Cambodia, Lao and Thailand.
|pumpkin (medium size)||1|
|cups coconut milk||2|
|cup palm sugar||1|
Directions to make Cambodia pumpkin coconut custard
- Using a sharp knife, carve the top off pumpkin to remove seeds and fibers in the center. Keep the top for the cover later. Rinse off pumpkin and leave to dry.
- In a sauce pan on low heat, gently whisk egg, sugar, salt and coconut until well combined. Avoid creating air bubbles.
- Pour mixture into pumpkin and cover with the carved top.
- Place pumpkin in a steamer in a large pot and seal to simmer 1 hour on low to medium temperature or until pumpkin flesh feels soft enough to spoon out of the pumpkin (use a knife to check that it comes out clean). Alternatively, bake in the oven for 40 mins at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Leave to cool completely for at least 45 mins as this will also allow custard to set in the pumpkin.
- Serve and slice like a cake.
- Best prepared the day before and can store in the fridge for up to 2 days
Let’s enjoy the most popular Asian Dessert with me
Search Term: Khmer Food and Cambodia Food, Khmer recipe , Asian recipes, Cambodian Pumpkin Coconut Custard, Asian Dessert, Thai dessert, Lao dessert.