|pumpkin (medium size)||1|
|cups coconut milk||2|
|cup palm sugar||1|
This delicate dessert is served on very special occasions and celebrations but often makes a perfect sweet treat for a heart warming result any other time.
- Using a sharp knife, carve the top off pumpkin to remove seeds and fibres in the center. Keep the top for the cover later. Rinse off pumkin and leave to dry.
- In a sauce pan on low heat, gently whisk egg, sugar, salt and coconut until well combined. Avoid creating air bubbles.
- Pour mixture into pumpkin and cover with the carved top.
- Place pumpkin in a steamer in a large pot and seal to simmer 1 hour on low to medium temperature or until pumpkin flesh feels soft enough to spoon out of the pumpkin (use a knife to check that it comes out clean). Alternatively, bake in the oven for 40 mins at 180 degrees celcius.
- Leave to cool completely for at least 45 mins as this will also allow custard to set in the pumpkin.
- Serve and slice like a cake.
- Best prepared the day before and can store in the fridge for up to 2 days