Cambodian Coconut Sponge Cake
Cambodian Coconut Sponge Cake is very popular in Vietnam and Cambodia, In Cambodia we call it Nom Patunko serve with fresh coconut flake and roasted sesame seeds.
For the batter
|2 cups of rice flour|
|1/4 cup of tapioca flour|
|1 1/4 cup of water|
|1 teaspoon of yeast|
|1/2 teaspoon of salt|
|1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder|
|Mix everything together in a large bowl with let on let the batter rise for 2 hours|
For the Coconut Cream
|3/4 cup of coconut cream|
|1 ½ cup of sugar|
|1/4 cup of water|
|1 teaspoon of vanilla extract|
Directions to make Cambodian Coconut Sponge Cake
- In a small sauce pan heat all the ingredients on low heat until the sugar melted
- Turn the heat down set aside.
- After 2 hours mix the coconut cream with the batter, mix it well and cover let it rise for the second time for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour divide the batter equally and add 2 drops of food coloring to each batter. The best color is pink, yellow and green.
- Using a large steamer boil the water and arrange 4 to 5 small bowls in the steamer (make sure you oil or spray the each small bowl so the batter won’t stick) Do not add the batter to the bowl yet let it boil for few minutes in the steamer so the cake rise better when the bowl is hot.
- Steam the cake for 15 minutes depend on how big the bowl is, repeat the remainder
- When the cake is done let it cool a bit then remove it from the bowl set it on the serving tray
- In Cambodia we server this cake with fresh shredded coconut flake with toasted sesame seeds
Serve with coffee or Tea, but my kids like it with hot chocolate
Related Recipe: Homemade Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 1411