Cambodian Tilapia CURRY with Coconut Milk Recipe
Delicious Cambodian Tilapia CURRY with Coconut Milk Recipe is made from tilapia, coconut milk, Mexican chilies, shrimp paste and other ingredients. Khmer food is one of the best cooking cuisines in Asian recipe. Cambodian recipe have similarities like other Asian food, Kampu, Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese.
|1 lb of tilapia sliced thin (no bone only meat part)|
|1 can of coconut milk (save about 2 T for topping)|
|1 tsp of fish sauce|
|1 tsp of sugar|
|2 dried red big Mexican chilies (this is not hot, but it gives color to the food)|
|5 cloves of garlic|
|2 pieces of galangal|
|1/4 cup of sliced lemongrass about 1 stalk of white part only|
|1 tsp of kapi this is Thai shrimp paste|
|1 tsp of red curry|
|1 cup of thinly sliced collard green or Chinese broccoli only the leaves part|
|6 kaffir lime leaves cut to thin pieces. Save a bit just for garnish on the top.|
Directions to make Cambodian Tilapia CURRY with Coconut Milk Recipe
- Soak the dried red Mexican chilies in warm water till soft, squeeze the water off then cut it to small pieces set aside.
- In a mortar and pestle pound the lemongrass, garlic, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, Mexican chilies to pastes
- Then add shrimp paste, and red curry paste pound it all together till it turns to a red paste.
- Add the coconut milk to the lemongrass paste that you just made mix it well together
- In a big bowl add the lemongrass paste to the tilapia,fish sauce now add the collard green, fold it together gently.
- Steam till the fish is done, with tilapia it won’t take too long. Turn the heat off drizzle with 2 T of coconut milk and sprinkle with the rest of kaffir lime leaves.
In Cambodia we steam this fish curry in a banana leave by making it to a deep bowl.
I don’t often buy banana leaves so I use a big bow and put all my fish curry mixture in, then steam in a bamboo steamer or any steamer that is big enough to hold the bowl.
We serve this fish amok with steam rice and lot of fresh vegetables like long bean, cucumber and cabbage.
Thank you and enjoy with your first made Cambodian Tilapia CURRY with Coconut Milk Recipe
Serving Size: 2
Calories Per Serving: 607