Calories in serving100
It is one of the best Asian recipes in South East Asia. Cambodian people like to prefer cooking this kind of food for serving their family and friends. Let’s start to make Eel with Preserved Bean Curd Hot Pot with me.
Twice cooked eel with preserved bean curb is one of Khmer men favorite hot pots. While most Khmer men prefers this dish for appetizer ”mahope sar”, the women prefers with rice or rice noodle.
Back home, we use only fresh water eel because it abundant, taste good and cheap. Fresh water eel or rice eel loves to travel, if their home dry out, these eel would “walk” on land (like snake) to find another home. Eel usually travel by group at night or early morning, and can go without water or food for several months. And like oyster, eel also change sex, as they get older. Eel hatched as females and their bodies got bigger when they turn into males.
|Eel ,or 1 Package cleaned frozen eels(sold in frozen section at most Asian markets)||2|
|Tablespoons vegetable oil||3|
|Cloves garlic, minced||3|
|Yellow onion, sliced thin||1|
|Cups already cut to cubestaro root||4|
|Canned, 14 ½ oz chicken broth||2|
|Cup water or beer||1|
|Pieces preserved bean curd (jao)||5|
|Tablespoon fish sauce||1|
|of black pepper||Dash|
|Stalks green onion, chopped||2|
|Asian water spinach, removed roots, washed and drained||0.90 kg|
Directions to make Eel with Preserved Bean Curd Hot Pot
- Cleaned and cut eel to 5 inches length, dabs with paper towel to dry off excessive water.
- Heat up a frying pan.
- When the frying pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons oil, add eel, pan-fry eel till both side golden brown, removed eel from heat and set a side.
- Pour remaining oil to the same frying pan, add garlic, onion and taro root, stirs, removed it from heat and set it a side.
- Put chicken broth and water in a large soup pot, cook till water bubbling, add prepare tarot root and eel to boiling broth, cook till taro root tender.
- In a small bowl, mix hot bean curd with sugar, fish sauce and black pepper.
- Seasoning soup with prepared bean curd sauce, stirs well and top with green onion.
- Serve hot with raw Asian water spinach, rice or rice noodle and sweet fish sauce.
Place the portable burner (either electrical or with coals) at the center of dinner table then put soup pot on top of hot burner. Usually each person would take some raw Asian water spinach and dips into hot soup when they eat.
Enjoy it with me
Search Term: Khmer Food, Khmer recipe, Cambodian Food Cooking, Khmer recipe, Cambodian Dessert, Asian recipes