|Cups water from rinses rice(option) or 6 cups water||6|
|Fresh mustard green, cleaned and chopped an inch in length||1 kg|
|hopped hot chili pepper or to your taste(option)||4|
Crisp homemade sweet and sour mustard green pickle *spee chrout* is delicious. *Spee chrout* to Khmer is like Kim Chi to Korean. Some people prefers very hot also, with a lot chili pepper except we don’t use garlic. We use *spee chrout* for soup, stir-fry, appetizer *mahope sar*, but most of the times, we eat spee chrout as salad along with rice , with fried or grilled fish *trey chien kor ang*, with fish or meat caramelized dish *trey kor sach kho*, and for take along to picnic. Authentic spee chrout recipe we save water from rinsing rice to boiled the mustard green.
- Boil 6 cups water( or water that saved from rinsing rice) in a large pot. When water bubbling, add mustard green to boiling water, stirs a couple times then immediately pours mustard green into a colander to drained.
- Spreads mustard green on a tray or basket to let it dry out for at least 8 hours.
- Put 2 cups water with salt and sugar in a small sauce-pan, cook and stirs till sugar dissolved, removed from the heat and set a side to cool off.
- Put mustard green and chili pepper in a jar or container.
- Pour prepared sugar-salt water over, presses down mustard green and closed the lid tight.
- If store in refrigerator it will take 2 weeks before it ready to eat.
- If not, store it in a cool place, it will be ready in three days.
- If you want to eat sooner, add a tablespoon white vinegar with prepared sugar-salt water, it will be ready in just a day.
- Rinsed under cold water before serve.