|Tablespoon vegetable oil||1|
|Cloves garlic, chopped||2|
|Cup minced lemon grass||¼|
|Whole basa, catfish or any white meat fish approx 0.90 kg, cleaned and cut chunks, or 1 lb fish fillet, cut chunks||1|
|Fresh pineapple, diced, or 1 large canned chunk pineapple||½|
|Fresh okra or 6 oz frozen whole okra||0.25 kg|
|Stalk celery, chopped||1|
|Stalks Asian rhubarb (taro stalk), sliced||2|
|Tablespoons Knorr tamarind powder||1½|
|Tablespoons fish sauce||2|
|Tomatoes, sliced chunks||2|
|Bean sprouts||0.12 kg|
|Cup chopped mix herbs; rice paddy herb, sweet basil and saw leaf herb||1|
|Stalk green onion, chopped||1|
|Chopped hot chili pepper, or to your taste(option)||2|
Aroma sweet, sour and spicy soup with fish is delicious authentic Khmer country food.
- Heat up a large soup pot.
- When soup pot is hot, add oil and saute’ garlic till it brown, removed toasted garlic and set it a side. Add lemon grass, stirs, add water, cook till water bubbling.
- Add fish, pineapple(included pineapple juice if using canned) to boiling water, cook till fish tender.
- Add okra, celery and Asian rhubard, stirs well.
- Seasoning with tamarind powder, sugar, fish sauce, and salt.
- Add tomatoes and bean sprouts, stirs well.
- Top with mix herbs, green onion, hot chili pepper and toasted garlic before serve.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Note: For sourer soup add more tamarind powder, add more sugar for sweeter soup.